A Prelude Of Things to Come?

>> Monday, May 10, 2010

I'm not sure how to caption this post.  I wasn't even planning to write it, but some days, even when you think it might be time to write about something other than toddlers and what they say, you see something you know you have to share.  I'm not sure whether we should call this post, "A Prelude of Things to Come" or possibly, "Some Girl's Mamma Will Hate Me Someday."

For those of you new to this blog, I have been wondering whether my son is a junior Casanova, and if so, how on Earth am I going to handle it.  (If you haven't read that post, you should check it out.)  I mean, I didn't even date all that much.  What do I know about cute and popular?  We figured Toddler didn't stand a chance at either with the two of us as his parents, but it looks like Mother Nature is getting her kicks with us ... at least for now.  I mean, all kids are cute when they are two.  Who knows what will happen between now and kindergarten.

Anyway, I have to give a little bit of background, otherwise someone will try to call Child Protective Services because you won't understand.  We have a CD that Toddler LOVES to listen to called Music Play Date by Playhouse Disney.  On that CD is a song called "What's Monkercise?" where Aah the red monkey teaches Ooh the blue monkey to exercise.  One of the exercises involves Ooh "shaking his monkey tail."  The song even has a line in it telling everyone to "shake your little monkey tail."  When we hear that line in this house, Toddler gets up and dances, looking quite professional with his little Toddler gyrations.  There is absolutely nothing inappropriate about his little boogeying.  We even say the line and do the dance in public for fun.

Nonetheless, when taken out of context, those words ... well ... let's just say this.  Whenever Toddler wants to "shake his little monkey tail" while we are in the bathroom, we have to tell him this isn't the time or place for dancing.  I just don't even want to think what the other moms might be thinking if he were to say that in a public restroom.  Yikes!

Today we were at a playdate with a girl-child a few months younger than Toddler.  The kiddos were having a blast playing, and chatting back and forth.  For the most part, they can understand each other just fine, even when we are having trouble.  (Somehow, I feel sheepish asking my Toddler what his toddler-friend just said, but he always seems to know.)

While they were standing on the stairs, I heard this:

Toddler:  Look at me, I'm shaking my monkey tail!
Girl: 
Toddler:  C'mon, Girl.  Shake your monkey tail.
Girl:  No.
Toddler: But why not?
Girl:

Now, I don't know about the rest of you, but I have a bad feeling about this conversation.  I am well aware that there was nothing but unbridled innocence in those words, but I couldn't help but think about Toddler and his girl-chasing in music class and wonder:

Am I in over my head?

2 comments:

MOLLYC May 10, 2010 at 10:39 AM  

Well, let me say this. At least your son did not declare, IN AN ICE CREAM STORE, in front of HIS STIFF NEW ENGLAND GRANDMOTHER, that "My vagina feels better!" molly

Karin Kysilka May 22, 2010 at 5:50 PM  

Ah, true. He did not. Of course, if he had, I certainly would have blogged about it, especially because I am not aware that he has one!

I got a lot of "confessional" children's statements tweeted to me, too, in response to this post. I wish I had thought to write them all down.

  © Free Blogger Templates Skyblue by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP